Making an effort to conscientiously take care of yourself, no matter how small, shows self-respect and can help you thrive in all aspects of your life. As you choose to do something kind for yourself every day you will function better and have improved mental health. Self-care isn’t just doing big or expensive things, it is any small efforts you take to do something loving for yourself.
What is Self Care
Self care is the practice of looking after our own mental and physical well-being. Self care involves taking steps and actions that prioritize and re-energize our minds and bodies. Self care activities can be simple or complex, ranging from a simple meditative moment to a spa day.
What are the Benefits of Self Care
The benefits of self-care are numerous and have been clinically proven. Engaging in a regular self-care routine can lead to reduced or eliminated stress and anxiety. You may also see a reduction in depression symptoms, increased happiness, and more. Self-care also helps with resilience; allowing you to adapt to change, handle challenges, and recover from setbacks.
Self Care Ideas
There are numerous ways to practice self care and you will get the most from your routine as you identify and engage in what works best for you. Here are some ideas for practicing self-care:
- Take a short walk or hike
- Make time to listen to a podcast or music
- Take a bath at the end of the long day
- Watch something that makes you laugh
- Care for a garden or plants
- Get 7-9 hours of sleep per night
- Write in a journal
- Spend time with loved ones
- Try a new restaurant or recipe
- Give yourself a makeover
- Pet a dog or cat
- Participate in a hobby – painting, drawing, playing music
- Call or write a friend or a loved one
- Read a book you enjoy
- Enjoy a dessert
- Go to therapy
- Sit outside, close your eyes, and take notes of all of the sounds you hear
These are a few ideas to help you get started with self care. If you need professional help with your mental health, our team is here to help. We can provide expert therapy services to assist you in taking control of your mental health. Request an appointment below today.